Danielle van de Donk says she feels freer in Netherlands role than at Arsenal
- Credit: PA
Arsenal star Danielle van de Donk says she enjoyed playing as a number 10 on Thursday night as the Netherlands beat Belgium 6-1 in Brussels.
The Dutch claimed a convincing win with all three Arsenal stars scoring in the form of van de Donk, Jill Roord and Vivianne Miedema.
Speaking to the Dutch press after the Dutch victory she explained:"I was allowed to play as a ten, all the staff and the girls all have the confidence in me and my ability.
"There was more dynamism in the team it went well and we played great football.
"In the end it is only good that we can play multiple systems for our long term future."
You may also want to watch:
On the current situation for the Gunners van de Donk said: "We have had a lot of cancelled matches after Christmas then we played against Manchester City and Chelsea in three days, which was a bit tough.
"But that's also part of the game we need to keep training hard it was great to play in a real game against two top teams.
- 1 Three strikes and you're out: Jail term for drug dealer
- 2 Seventh man charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 3 Junction Road collision: Man arrested on suspicion of drink driving
- 4 Covid rule warning issued after spate of parties in Islington
- 5 Group install interactive art project along New River Walk
- 6 NOcado campaign: Ocado brings High Court challenge
- 7 LTNs, census, carers and run for Macmillan
- 8 ‘Absolute disgrace’: Heating and hot water issues plague two estates
- 9 Swimmers in Hackney and Islington raise money to save their club
- 10 Learning in lockdown: Homeschooling in Islington after move from America
"We're looking forward to our next game against Germany these are the games you want to play. The higher the level, the better.
"These are the games that you learn the most from our focus as it should be is to be even better."
Van de Donk also went on to say she feels freer with the Dutch national team than at Arsenal saying: "At Arsenal I play more like a six or an eight.
"So if you are more attacking here, it is freedom. I have full confidence from the staff and the girls it is just nice to play football.
"At Arsenal I also enjoy playing football only there the small mistakes you make are immediately punished.
"I will not beat around the bush, I do feel freer here with the Netherlands."
The Netherlands are back in action on Wednesday when they take on Germany in Venlo.