Veras Academy brothers bring back three medals from Swiss Open
- Credit: Archant
Brothers Liam and Luan Veras picked up a trio of medals between them at the Swiss Open international tournament on Sunday.
The pair, who represented Veras Academy along with team-mate Seyhan Cinar, competed against clubs from Germany, Italy and Macedonia, as well as the host country.
Nine-year-old Liam set the ball rolling with a silver medal in the Under-10 kata (forms) category and followed it up with gold at the Under-32kg kumite (fight).
Luan, 10, had been unable to train for the tournament due to a recent illness, but still did enough to win a bronze medal in the Under-12s’ 41kg kumite.
Sensei Raphael Veras, the boys’ father and head coach of the academy, said: “Their performances were excellent and prove that they are on top of their category in Europe.”
You may also want to watch:
For more information about the academy, who hold classes at Ringcross Community Centre, Islington and Britannia Leisure Centre, Hackney, visit www.verasacademy.co.uk
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 4 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 5 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 6 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
- 7 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 10 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes