Veras Academy brothers bring back three medals from Swiss Open
- Credit: Archant
Brothers Liam and Luan Veras picked up a trio of medals between them at the Swiss Open international tournament on Sunday.
The pair, who represented Veras Academy along with team-mate Seyhan Cinar, competed against clubs from Germany, Italy and Macedonia, as well as the host country.
Nine-year-old Liam set the ball rolling with a silver medal in the Under-10 kata (forms) category and followed it up with gold at the Under-32kg kumite (fight).
Luan, 10, had been unable to train for the tournament due to a recent illness, but still did enough to win a bronze medal in the Under-12s’ 41kg kumite.
Sensei Raphael Veras, the boys’ father and head coach of the academy, said: “Their performances were excellent and prove that they are on top of their category in Europe.”
You may also want to watch:
For more information about the academy, who hold classes at Ringcross Community Centre, Islington and Britannia Leisure Centre, Hackney, visit www.verasacademy.co.uk
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing