Veras Academy fighters finish top at UK Championships
- Credit: Archant
Jasmine Pomeroy picked up two gold medals and a silver as Veras Academy topped the table at the UK Open Championships in Dudley.
Pomeroy, who trains at the Veras Academy centres in Islington and Hackney, won gold medals in the 16 and over kumite (open and Under-68kg), as well as finishing second in the 3rd kyu kata.
Her double gold was matched by team-mate Lulu Brown, who won both the girls’ 4th kyu kata and open kumite for 10-11 year-olds to help Veras Academy finish highest of the 20 associations that won medals at the tournament.
The squad claimed another seven gold medals in all, with Seyhan Cinar winning the 10-13 years 7th kyu kata and adding silver in the 4th kyu kata, while Patricia Veras won the veterans’ open kumite.
The other individual gold medals went to Luan Veras in the 10-13 years 4th kyu kata, where Harunur Rashid – who also won the 12-13 years 5th kyu kumite – secured bronze.
You may also want to watch:
In the Under-nines’ section, Liam Veras won silver medals at the 3rd kyu mixed kata and the open kumite, as well as a bronze in the 4th kyu mixed kata.
Donna Blake took silver in the 16 and over 4th kyu kata, adding a bronze in the 18 and over Under-68kg kumite, while Mette McLarney also won bronze in the veterans’ open kumite.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 4 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 7 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 8 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 9 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 10 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
Seven year-old Isaac Gibson gained bronze medals in the Under-nines 7th kyu mixed kata and Under-eights mixed open kumite, and there were also third places for Anairin Jindal and Luca Veras, both in the Under-nines open kumite.
The squad collected further medals in the team events – gold for the 10-13 years kata and silver for the 10-12 years kumite. They fielded two teams in both the Under-nines kata and kumite, winning gold and bronze at each event.
For more information about the association, who train at Ringcross Community Centre, Islington, and Britannia Leisure Centre, Hackney, visit www.verasacademy.co.uk