Veras Academy pair win gold medals at top French tournament
- Credit: Archant
Veras Academy’s Demie Holland captured her first individual gold medal overseas at the annual Open Jeunes D’Orleans Championships in France last weekend.
The 11-year-old won all three of her fights to take gold at the Over-50kg section in Orleans – and there was a victory for team-mate Luan Veras, also 11, at Under-45kg.
Veras was competing at the tournament for the third time – having claimed a gold medal in 2014 and silver last year – and won all five of his fights to secure gold again.
Sensei Raphael Veras, chief instructor at the Islington-based academy, said: “What a great performance – both athletes were amazing.
“The French league is one of the toughest in the world. The level of every young athlete and organisation is taken seriously from the start.”
You may also want to watch:
For further information about Veras Academy, visit www.verasacademy.co.uk or call 07886 495 135.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting