Veras Academy pair win gold medals at top French tournament
- Credit: Archant
Veras Academy’s Demie Holland captured her first individual gold medal overseas at the annual Open Jeunes D’Orleans Championships in France last weekend.
The 11-year-old won all three of her fights to take gold at the Over-50kg section in Orleans – and there was a victory for team-mate Luan Veras, also 11, at Under-45kg.
Veras was competing at the tournament for the third time – having claimed a gold medal in 2014 and silver last year – and won all five of his fights to secure gold again.
Sensei Raphael Veras, chief instructor at the Islington-based academy, said: “What a great performance – both athletes were amazing.
“The French league is one of the toughest in the world. The level of every young athlete and organisation is taken seriously from the start.”
You may also want to watch:
For further information about Veras Academy, visit www.verasacademy.co.uk or call 07886 495 135.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago