Veras Academy start 2016 with a clutch of medals at English Championships
- Credit: Archant
Islington-based Veras Academy began the new year by amassing eight gold medals – and 23 overall – at the English Karate (kyu grade) Championships in Sheffield.
Luca Veras set the ball rolling with gold in the Under-nine boys’ kata and kumite.
His brother Luan followed suit in the 10-11 years boys’ kumite category, where a third brother, Liam, took the silver medal.
Chloe Casimir claimed gold in the 14-15 years girls’ kumite at Over-54kg, with Andras Tamas completing the academy’s individual successes by winning the men’s kumite at Under-75kg.
Donna Blake collected a silver medal in kumite and bronze in kata, while there were also bronze medals for Belle Bautista (Under-nine girls’ kumite) and Demie Holland (10-11 years girls’ kumite).
You may also want to watch:
Luke Kavanagh claimed bronze in the 10-13 years boys’ kata, as did Harry Elvis in the learning difficulties category and Ben Pomeroy at Under-57kg in the 14-15 years boys’ kumite.
The academy’s remaining honours came in the team events, where Luca Veras, Jack Walsh and Daniel Gardner triumphed at Under-nine kata and Luan Veras, Liam Veras and Seyhan Cinar won the 10-11 years kumite.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
The same trio repeated that feat in the 10-13 years kata, while Tamas and Paul Gibson teamed up to take bronze medals in the men’s kumite.
Chief instructor Sensei Raphael Veras said: “This was a great day for the association. I cannot express how happy I am to see such tremendous performances from everyone in the team.”
For more information about Veras Academy, who have a varied calendar of international competitions lined up for 2016, visit www.verasacademy.co.uk