Veras Academy students pick up some pointers from England squad
- Credit: Archant
Four youngsters from Islington-based Veras Academy were given the chance to train with the England squad for the first time last weekend.
Luan Veras, Lulu Brown and Saynan Cinar (all 10 years of age) and 12-year-old Luke Kavanagh were the first fighters from their age group to take part in the training session, which was previously only on offer to those aged 13 and above.
Three older members of the academy – Benjamin Pomeroy and Daniel Chamoun, both 13, and 19-year-old Jasmine Pomeroy – were also included.
Sensei Raphael Veras, the academy’s chief instructor, said: “It was a great experience and an opportunity for them to realise how hard they have to work to achieve a place in the England team.”
Earlier in the week, Veras Academy held their internal kyu grading, with students from Ringcross dojo, as well as those from after-school clubs in Camden and Hackney, tested on stances, techniques, combinations and forms.
You may also want to watch:
Sensei Veras added: “I was pleased with every student, especially the young ones who showed a lot of commitment throughout the test.”
For more information about the club’s activities and achievements, visit www.verasacademy.co.uk
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 3 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 4 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 5 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 10 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis