Veras Academy students pick up some pointers from England squad
- Credit: Archant
Four youngsters from Islington-based Veras Academy were given the chance to train with the England squad for the first time last weekend.
Luan Veras, Lulu Brown and Saynan Cinar (all 10 years of age) and 12-year-old Luke Kavanagh were the first fighters from their age group to take part in the training session, which was previously only on offer to those aged 13 and above.
Three older members of the academy – Benjamin Pomeroy and Daniel Chamoun, both 13, and 19-year-old Jasmine Pomeroy – were also included.
Sensei Raphael Veras, the academy’s chief instructor, said: “It was a great experience and an opportunity for them to realise how hard they have to work to achieve a place in the England team.”
Earlier in the week, Veras Academy held their internal kyu grading, with students from Ringcross dojo, as well as those from after-school clubs in Camden and Hackney, tested on stances, techniques, combinations and forms.
You may also want to watch:
Sensei Veras added: “I was pleased with every student, especially the young ones who showed a lot of commitment throughout the test.”
For more information about the club’s activities and achievements, visit www.verasacademy.co.uk
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 6 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 7 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 8 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 9 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020