Veras Academy youngster scoops gold medal at French junior tournament
- Credit: Archant
Nine-year-old Liam Veras put last year’s disappointment behind him by claiming a gold medal at the prestigious Jeunes d’Orleans tournament in France.
The Islington-based youngster, who represents Veras Academy, failed to win a medal at the 2014 kumite competition, which is regarded as one of the most challenging children’s tournaments in the country.
But Liam put that right by taking the honours in the 30kg category for eight to nine year-olds, winning his first three fights 8-0, 7-2 and 6-3 before triumphing 7-3 in the final.
His brothers also competed in the tournament, which drew a high standard of competition.
The eldest brother Luan, 10, contested the Under-45kg section for 10-11 year-olds and won his first fight 5-0 before further victories (2-1 and 2-0 respectively) took him to the final.
You may also want to watch:
That finished in a 1-1 draw, but Luan had to settle for the silver medal after the referee’s decision went to his French opponent.
Seven year-old Luca fought in the same category as Liam and won his opening contest 7-0, but was edged out 5-4 in the second round.
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 3 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 4 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 5 Former Islington BC Slavisa Gegic fighter visits his old club
- 6 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 7 Clapped in the street - and assaulted: Staff call for behaviour change in A&E
- 8 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 9 The situation in North London as Arsenal come up against Spurs
- 10 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
For more information about the academy, who hold classes at Ringcross Community Centre, Islington and Britannia Leisure Centre, Hackney, visit www.verasacademy.co.uk