Veras Academy youngster scoops gold medal at French junior tournament
- Credit: Archant
Nine-year-old Liam Veras put last year’s disappointment behind him by claiming a gold medal at the prestigious Jeunes d’Orleans tournament in France.
The Islington-based youngster, who represents Veras Academy, failed to win a medal at the 2014 kumite competition, which is regarded as one of the most challenging children’s tournaments in the country.
But Liam put that right by taking the honours in the 30kg category for eight to nine year-olds, winning his first three fights 8-0, 7-2 and 6-3 before triumphing 7-3 in the final.
His brothers also competed in the tournament, which drew a high standard of competition.
The eldest brother Luan, 10, contested the Under-45kg section for 10-11 year-olds and won his first fight 5-0 before further victories (2-1 and 2-0 respectively) took him to the final.
You may also want to watch:
That finished in a 1-1 draw, but Luan had to settle for the silver medal after the referee’s decision went to his French opponent.
Seven year-old Luca fought in the same category as Liam and won his opening contest 7-0, but was edged out 5-4 in the second round.
- 1 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 2 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 5 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 6 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 7 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 8 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 9 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 10 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
For more information about the academy, who hold classes at Ringcross Community Centre, Islington and Britannia Leisure Centre, Hackney, visit www.verasacademy.co.uk