Veras Academy youngsters scoop medals at Latvia tournament
- Credit: Archant
A squad of Veras Academy youngsters ended the year on a high after claiming 11 medals – five of them gold – at the Latvia International tournament.
Two of the gold medals went to seven-year-old Luca Veras, in the Under-eight kumite (25kg) and sumo challenge (28kg), while his brothers Luan (Over-43kg fight) and Liam (Under-32kg fight) picked up one apiece.
There were silver medals for Luca in the Under-eight kata and Liam in the Under-10 open category, while the fifth gold was won by Seyhan Cinar in the Under-12 7th kyu kata.
Jack Gentili joined Liam and Luca to win a bronze medal in the Under-10 team kata event, with Liam also taking bronze in the individual kata and Luan Veras matching that in the Under-12 open kumite.
The Islington-based squad – who were the UK’s sole representatives in Riga – also won a bronze medal in the Under-12 team kata, where Cinar teamed up with Luan and Liam Veras.
You may also want to watch:
Chief instructor Sensei Raphael Veras said: “Eastern Europeans are true warriors and the results from our five members have proved that we are on the right path of making future world champions.”
The academy have also gained good results at tournaments in France, Luxembourg and Germany during the past year
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Islington shooting victim named
- 9 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 10 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
For further information about the academy and their activities, visit www.verasacademy.co.uk