Cricket: Woodford Wells sink Hainault & Clayhall
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Woodford Wells came out on top in their Shepherd Neame Essex League Division One derby with Hainault & Clayhall to make it back-to-back wins.
The visitors were put into bat at Monkhams Lane and saw captain Irfan Shah run out, while George Ellis ripped through the rest of the top order on his way to a superb 5-29 haul.
Danial Mahmood (21) and Sadair Mehdi (41) offered some resistance, but both fell to Viraj Ghandi (3-19) as Hainault were dismissed for 135 in the 34th over.
Joe Johnson led the way with the bat in reply as Wells raced to a seven-wicket victory in 22 overs.
Johnson hit 59 before succumbing to Muhammad Rahim, while Knut Wilmott and Hywel Jones also reached double figures before falling to Mehdi (2-23).
You may also want to watch:
George Styles and Rehan Iqbal then combined to see Wells to their target as they climbed above their rivals and 10 points clear of the relegation zone with five games remaining.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'