White hat-trick secures Admiral win over Pearson in Islington Gazette Cup
- Credit: Archant
Andrew White registered a second-half hat-trick as Admiral came through a stern test to book their place in the second round.
Admiral, who lead the way in the Islington Midweek League Premier Division, were frustrated by their Division One opponents during a scoreless first half.
It needed some sterling defensive work by Jake Hutchings to prevent Pearson from taking the lead, but Admiral looked a different side after the restart.
White broke the deadlock with a 25-yard piledriver, only for Pearson to hit back five minutes later – but Haben Tesim crossed for White to head home and restore his side’s lead.
Tesim then set up Niko Muir to make it 3-1 and also created the fourth goal for Admiral, which White converted to complete his treble before Pearson struck again with a late consolation.
You may also want to watch:
Division One side Dover Castle pulled off the upset of the first round as they overcame top-flight strugglers West End 5-3, while the highest-scoring tie produced 12 goals as Star of Kings beat Regent Legend 9-3.
Elsewhere, last year’s league champions Cricklewood Wanderers beat Fullback 3-0, FC Islington edged out Clocktower 3-2, Islington Borough won 7-2 against Spartak and St Paul’s Celtic triumphed 3-1 against Unity.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
Mavericks London beat Arsenal Positive Futures 6-2 in an all-Division Two clash, while holders Regent’s FC are due to begin their defence of the trophy on Wednesday night against Hilltop.