Youngsters lead the way for Veras Academy at Leicester tournament
- Credit: Archant
Veras Academy’s youngest competitors achieved a clean sweep at the Leicester Wadokai Open Championships.
Luca Veras – a student at Sacred Heart School, Islington – won the gold medal in the Under-six kumite section, with classmate Jack Gentili-Walsh taking silver and Makhae Rosengrove and Isaac Gibson sharing bronze.
The north London academy collected a total of 25 medals, with four of them – all gold – going to Sanan Aliyev, who took first place in the men’s elite kumite at Under-71kg, Under-76kg and Over-76kg kumite (elite grand), as well as the senior mixed team event.
Luca Veras won another gold medal in the 7-9 years kumite (up to 7th kyu), with Andrew Egbunike and Kayse Nakpodia taking silver and bronze.
Nakpodia also claimed gold in the kata, while Liam Veras took the silver medal in the kata (up to 4th kyu), as well as adding a gold in kumite.
You may also want to watch:
Liam teamed up with his brother Luan and Luke Kavanagh to win the Under-12 team kata, with the latter pair also placing first and second respectively in the 10-12 years boys’ section.
The bronze medal went to Emre Oner, while Daniel Chamoun also took bronze in kumite and Lucienne Brown won silver in the girls’ event. Brown, Chamoun and Luan Veras were also in action in the mixed team kumite, winning silver.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 3 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 4 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 7 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 8 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 9 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 10 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
Mette McLarney claimed a silver medal in the women’s Over-35) kata and added a bronze in the kumite, while Jacqui Chamoun took silver and Bernadette Urrutia bronze in the kumite.