15-year-old Islington singer songwriter in grand final of Big Busk competition
- Credit: Archant
A five month search for fresh musical talent will reach its climax this weekend as 18 acts take to the stage for the grand final of a busking competition.
The Mayor of London’s Gigs Big Busk is the UKs biggest annual street music competition and has attracted over 500 young musicians, singers and groups aged 11 to 25.
It gives the contestants the opportunity to perform all over the city in landmark locations and compete for a host of music prizes.
The competition has been whittled down to just 18 finalists who will all perform in the grand final at Westfield Stratford City on Sunday, including Islington singer Maya Delilah.
The 15-year-old singer songwriter started playing guitar at the tender age of eight and hasn’t put it down since.
You may also want to watch:
Maya sometimes performs in a jazz band but this weekend she will be going it along in the youth category of the busking competition.
The finalists will play live from midday to 6pm when a winner will be crowned Gigs Champion 2014 by a panel of industry judges.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
Some of the prizes up for grabs include a licence to busk on the Tube, a trip Paris where they can busk around the French capital and the chance to play at the Matala Beach Festival in Crete.