15-year-old Islington singer songwriter in grand final of Big Busk competition
- Credit: Archant
A five month search for fresh musical talent will reach its climax this weekend as 18 acts take to the stage for the grand final of a busking competition.
The Mayor of London’s Gigs Big Busk is the UKs biggest annual street music competition and has attracted over 500 young musicians, singers and groups aged 11 to 25.
It gives the contestants the opportunity to perform all over the city in landmark locations and compete for a host of music prizes.
The competition has been whittled down to just 18 finalists who will all perform in the grand final at Westfield Stratford City on Sunday, including Islington singer Maya Delilah.
The 15-year-old singer songwriter started playing guitar at the tender age of eight and hasn’t put it down since.
You may also want to watch:
Maya sometimes performs in a jazz band but this weekend she will be going it along in the youth category of the busking competition.
The finalists will play live from midday to 6pm when a winner will be crowned Gigs Champion 2014 by a panel of industry judges.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Thames Water faces councillors’ anger over billing changes for tenants
- 3 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school
- 4 Arsenal column: Granit Xhaka the stand out performer since Boxing Day but some of his senior professionals continue to disappoint
- 5 Islington writers among the winners of 2021 awards
- 6 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 7 Author inspired by Highbury for debut sci-fi novel about aliens
- 8 Spot tiny art 'gems' along The Parkland Walk
- 9 Corporation Street fight: Boy, 15, stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 10 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
Some of the prizes up for grabs include a licence to busk on the Tube, a trip Paris where they can busk around the French capital and the chance to play at the Matala Beach Festival in Crete.