A family affair
A MEAL that excites the senses is a rare treat, but at Harman the feat is achieved thanks to the experience and expertise of the three generations of family applying their know-how – the great grandfather still works in the kitchen as chef. From the momen
A MEAL that excites the senses is a rare treat, but at Harman the feat is achieved thanks to the experience and expertise of the three generations of family applying their know-how - the great grandfather still works in the kitchen as chef.
From the moment you are warmly welcomed by the friendly waiting staff, you are instantly made aware of the perfect mix of traditional Turkish and Mediterranean fixtures which seem to blend with the modern low-level blue lighting.
Once we were seated, the table was soon decorated with a variety of fresh appetisers closely followed by our starter - an amazing array of borek (feta-filled filo pastry parcels resting on a delicate yogurt base) and king prawns served with fresh tomato, garlic, lemon juice and rice.
The food at Harman shares many of the same themes as the d�cor, blending tradition with a modern touch.
You may also want to watch:
The menu has a wide range of dishes to cater all requirements, many of which were helpfully explained by our waitress due to our indecision. I opted for the Chicken Alaturka, a chicken fillet cooked in a white wine and cream sauce with mushroom and asparagus (�8.45). The dish made such an impact I went back a few days later and ordered it again.
My partner opted for a Harman mixed grill cooked on real charcoal. A selection of marinated lamb, chicken and kofta was cooked to perfection and so succulent it melted in the mouth - what more do you want for �10.95?
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
It is no surprise to learn this buzzing family business is well established in Upper Holloway, having been serving homely modern cuisine in the area for over 20 years.
The food was voted the best in Archway by one leading restaurant website, but Harman is not only for dining out on those special occasions. It also serves breakfast and lunch daily from 10am, while the lovely garden makes it as family-friendly as the kitchen.
- CHRISTINA MANNION
Mains: from �7.45
Wine: from �12.45
Disabled access: yes
Children welcome: yes