A family affair
A MEAL that excites the senses is a rare treat, but at Harman the feat is achieved thanks to the experience and expertise of the three generations of family applying their know-how – the great grandfather still works in the kitchen as chef. From the momen
A MEAL that excites the senses is a rare treat, but at Harman the feat is achieved thanks to the experience and expertise of the three generations of family applying their know-how - the great grandfather still works in the kitchen as chef.
From the moment you are warmly welcomed by the friendly waiting staff, you are instantly made aware of the perfect mix of traditional Turkish and Mediterranean fixtures which seem to blend with the modern low-level blue lighting.
Once we were seated, the table was soon decorated with a variety of fresh appetisers closely followed by our starter - an amazing array of borek (feta-filled filo pastry parcels resting on a delicate yogurt base) and king prawns served with fresh tomato, garlic, lemon juice and rice.
The food at Harman shares many of the same themes as the d�cor, blending tradition with a modern touch.
You may also want to watch:
The menu has a wide range of dishes to cater all requirements, many of which were helpfully explained by our waitress due to our indecision. I opted for the Chicken Alaturka, a chicken fillet cooked in a white wine and cream sauce with mushroom and asparagus (�8.45). The dish made such an impact I went back a few days later and ordered it again.
My partner opted for a Harman mixed grill cooked on real charcoal. A selection of marinated lamb, chicken and kofta was cooked to perfection and so succulent it melted in the mouth - what more do you want for �10.95?
- 1 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
It is no surprise to learn this buzzing family business is well established in Upper Holloway, having been serving homely modern cuisine in the area for over 20 years.
The food was voted the best in Archway by one leading restaurant website, but Harman is not only for dining out on those special occasions. It also serves breakfast and lunch daily from 10am, while the lovely garden makes it as family-friendly as the kitchen.
- CHRISTINA MANNION
Mains: from �7.45
Wine: from �12.45
Disabled access: yes
Children welcome: yes