Artist’s murals brighten up Sunnyside Community Gardens
- Credit: Archant
Plants representing the four seasons have been painted on a cabin by artist Alba Bernal at the community gardens in Elthorpe Park
Local artist Alba Bernal has brightened up Sunnyside Community Gardens with brightly coloured plant murals.
Flora and fauna representing the four seasons include tulips for spring, sunflower for summer, mushrooms for autumn, and thistles for winter - alongside a frog and a heron - grace the outside walls of the garden’s cabin.
“Big, bold, and beautiful” was the verdict of Zena, a regular volunteer at the Gardens in Hazellville Road, near Elthorne Park.
Alba explains: “I’ve seen the volunteers work so hard throughout the year to keep the garden beautiful. The Portakabin has always struck me as a bit drab and not in keeping with the rest of the garden. As a professional mural artist I felt I could make a difference by painting it to reflect back the beauty of the garden.”
You may also want to watch:
Anna Portch, manager of Sunnyside, a charity with a history of offering therapeutic gardening for people with disabilities, said: “What’s wonderful is that Alba has taken inspiration from plants and animals she has actually seen at Sunnyside over the past year.”
- 1 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 2 Jeremy Corbyn launches Peace and Justice Project with calls to action
- 3 Police search for suspects after teen stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 4 Arsenal Women trio issue apology to team mates following Dubai trip
- 5 Letters: Environment and tenants' manifesto
- 6 Student on 'emotional' first day giving Covid jab to NHS workers
- 7 Corporation Street fight: Boy, 15, stabbed in the face in the Cally
- 8 Council tax set to rise amid 'hand-to-mouth' Covid-19 government funding
- 9 Author inspired by Highbury for debut sci-fi novel about aliens
- 10 E-fit appeal after teen partially blinded in Canonbury Road baton attack