Album review: Barrence Whitfield & The Savages - Under A Savage Sky
- Credit: Archant
Down’n’dirty, tough-talkin’ and soulful blues/rock’n’roll mash-up
Returning to the fray in 2010 after an extended leave of absence from their ‘80s heyday, Whitfield and band have reclaimed their territory in typically uncompromising style.
For those unfamiliar, Whitfield’s growl and whiskey-soaked low rasp is a key ingredient in the Savages’ turbo-charged sound mixing blues, bruising soul, ‘60s garage rock and a shot of Little Richard’a electric rock’n’roll.
This follow-up to 2013’s Dig Thy Savage Soul finds them in fine fettle, still spitting out lascivious grooves and gravelly vocals.
Whether it’s waking up drunk with “someone else’s baby on my mind” (the sultry electric blues of Adjunct Street) or Angry Hands’ taunted protagonist, the sounds and subjects are full-bodied and hot-blooded.
You may also want to watch:
The album barely takes a breath as it roils in a gloriously grimy soup- choice cuts include Bad News Perfume’s pumped-up rock’n’roll and The Wolf Pack’s strutting blues, a Kid Thomas cover in which Whitfield howls dementedly over boisterous brass and drumstick snaps.
As you’d expect from song titles like Incarceration Casserole and Rock’n’Roll Baby, it’s sweaty, consummately-executed fun with oodles of pep and spittle in the finest tradition of bands from The Sonics to the Jim Jones Revue. Exhilarating stuff.
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 9 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting