Album review: EMA - The Future’s Void
- Credit: Archant
Erika M. Anderson, or EMA as she’s better known, burst onto the scene in 2011 with the release of Past Life, Martyred Saints.
One of the year’s best records in this reviewer’s opinion, it hinted at a subversive post-punk songwriter not dissimilar to Kim Gordon or Courtney Love; one who could certainly challenge the latter for a good crossover tune if she really put her mind to it.
On The Future’s Void, EMA seems to have acknowledged that potential, writing her most accessible LP yet while maintaining that trademark ghostly sense of alienation.
So Blonde is a deceptive opener. An angst-ridden guitar cruncher not dissimilar from Hole, it sees Anderson penning a Lena Dunham-esque take on the struggles of a mid-20s girl in the city.
Yet it’s follow-up 3Jane that really sets the tone – a stunning other-worldy ballad that fears the dawn of social media, crying ‘I’ve seen my face and I don’t recognize the person that I feel inside’.
You may also want to watch:
The theme is explored throughout, and while the occasional reference to ‘selfies’ can grate, songs like When She Comes reveal the album’s brilliant layers of distorted voice and electronica are only accentuating a truly gifted ear for melody. This is a troubled modern lament, but an outstandingly thoughtful, warped pop record because of it.
Rating: Four stars
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 5 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 6 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 9 Why Arsenal's Leah Williamson is perfect England captain?
- 10 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
Find me on twitter @alexbellotti