Album review: Fred Abbott - Serious Poke
- Credit: Archant
Noah And The Whale man’s solo AOR debut underwhelms
Until recently the lead guitarist and keyboardist in the now-defunct folksy popsters Noah And The Whale, Abbott has seemingly been hiding his love of all-American guitar music under a bushel.
“It’s 4am in a parking lot/The city sleeps but we do not” he shoots from the hip in opening track Adrenaline Shot, a peppy crossbreed of Tom Petty-style MOR rock, early-Springsteen urgency and all-American symbolism.
If that’s already sounding alarm bells, proceed no further; Abbott’s clearly under the spell of the American dream in this solo debut, recorded acrsos three London studios including Shoreditch’s The Shop.
He sings of “driving down the PCH, in a Rolls Royce Silver Wraith, dreaming of a golden age” in Hollywood, a frustratingly uninspired plod through cliched Americanisms.
You may also want to watch:
Splashes of slide guitar, Hammond organ, violin and cello can’t mitigate his blinkered stumbling through this tired genre, and his lightly gruff voice - potentially his saving grace - blurts out some seriously stunted lyrics, even on the recent free-download single Funny How Good It Feels.
Either reeking of cheesy, big-haired ‘70s/80s emo-rock or half-heartedly trying to resuscitate limp, piano-led ballads, Serious Poke lacks serious poke, never mind the soul and verve to make this stand out from the thousands of also-rans just as seduced by American AOR.
- 1 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 2 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago