Album review: Superorganism – Superorganism
- Credit: Archant
Astute pop wizardry in this debut LP from one of the bands of the moment.
With a combined 32 limbs at their disposal, the eight-piece east London-based band behind the moniker are a superorganism indeed.
It’s a wonder this debut record ever got made with that many egos and ideas to contend with, yet Superorganism is a compelling and startlingly self-assured set of off-kilter, wonky electwrongica punches that mostly land on target.
The record oozes technicolour fun – throwing in Orono Noguchi’s breathy, laissez-faire delivery (think a slightly more affected Courtney Barnett) with the band’s knack for earworm riffs and motifs, a pervasive hard, rubbery bounce and penchant for squelchy synths and sound effects.
The hugely catchy Everybody Wants To Be Famous is currently doing the rounds on the airwaves, a timely and satisfyingly dour look on the world of celebrity, and deserving follow-up to the laid-back and laconic Something For Your M.I.N.D.
You may also want to watch:
Night Time’s funky flow and ‘90s throwback breakbeat drums is the best of the rest, which proffers more vintage synths, poppy hooks and 8-bit arcade game effects at every turn.
Given that this is self-produced, written and recorded in their house-cum-studio HQ, Superorganism is a heroically accomplished, kaleidoscopic kick; here’s hoping they’ve got enough legs.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 5 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 6 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 7 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 8 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 9 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 10 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
Rating: 3/5 stars