Album review: The Lovely Eggs – This Is Eggland
- Credit: Archant
The northern rockers’ motorik, frazzled guitars and kitchen-sink humour make for an invigorating experience.
Married couple Holly Ross and David Blackwell bring kitchen sink realism and wry British humour to the world of garage-punk with This Is Eggland – a direct nod to Shane Meadows’ excellent TV series.
The ‘Eggs put themselves in their most sonically bruising territory yet – an uncompromising mix of DIY garage-punk attitude and two-chord song structures, krautrock motorik and psych-rock.
With Flaming Lips/Mercury Rev producer Dave Fridmann overseeing things, it’s relentless – “like a chip shop on fire” as Ross notes – with pin-you-to-the-wall punch, rich-sounding but still raw and ragged.
There’s smirks aplenty in joyous oik-rocker D***head and Wiggy Giggy (The Super Furry Animals gone grunge), while bloopy Grandaddy-style synths add fun to Big Sea and I’m With You inhabits the crossroads of power-pop and krautrock.
You may also want to watch:
The ‘Eggs prefer their fun fearsome, too – Blackwell’s relentless drums are forever up-front and vying with Ross’s buzzsaw guitar for the cochlea-frazzling prize.
Return Of Witchcraft is a mind-zapping case in point, with Ross’s gauzy vocals stretched over the top – swapped out for shouts in recent single I Shouldn’t Have Said That.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 6 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 7 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 8 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 9 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 10 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
Breathless, hard-charging fun.
Rating: 3.5/5 stars