Alex Horne and The Horne Section to perform at Shoreditch Town Hall
- Credit: Archant
Comedian and poet Tim Key joins the 8 Out of Ten Cats regular and Taskmaster creator for an evening of music and hilarity
After more than six years of creating comedy songs, Alex Horne and his band The Horne Section are touring.
Their show at the Shoreditch Town Hall is a celebration of their greatest hits along with a few extras.
Comedian Alex Horne started the group to perform at the Edinburgh Fringe, booking a venue before they had a set list or idea of what they were going to play.
Horne joined forces with Joe Auckland (trumpet and banjo) and Ben Reynolds (drums), with whom he went to primary school.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Brown (saxophone), Will Collier (bass) and Ed Sheldrake (keys) joined the group later and have had several television appearances and a show on Radio 4.
Best known for their appearances on 8 Out of Ten Cats and being the only group to host Never Mind the Buzzcocks, The Horne Section has been described by Alex as “a combination of a comedian who says he doesn’t like jazz and five jazz musicians who say they don’t like that comedian’s jokes”.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 4 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 7 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 8 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 9 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
With tunes like The Seasons, a song in which he reveals his misunderstanding of the times of year, and a Christmas themed rendition of the alphabet, The Horne Section have captured interest through simple jokes and understated musical humour.
Having taken numerous shows to Edinburgh, including one titled Taskmaster, Horne now hosts a show on Dave of the same name, featuring many of the UK’s favourite comedians, such as Sara Pascoe, Frank Skinner, Jon Richardson, Al Murray and Roisin Conaty, completing inane and bizarre tasks.
The group will be joined by poet and comedian Tim Key, who appeared on the first series of Taskmaster, to celebrate his return from Asia and as “an excuse for a fun night out”.
Alex Horne and The Horne Section perform with Tim Key at the Shoreditch Town Hall on Friday October 21, 7:30pm.