Alex Horne and The Horne Section to perform at Shoreditch Town Hall
- Credit: Archant
Comedian and poet Tim Key joins the 8 Out of Ten Cats regular and Taskmaster creator for an evening of music and hilarity
After more than six years of creating comedy songs, Alex Horne and his band The Horne Section are touring.
Their show at the Shoreditch Town Hall is a celebration of their greatest hits along with a few extras.
Comedian Alex Horne started the group to perform at the Edinburgh Fringe, booking a venue before they had a set list or idea of what they were going to play.
Horne joined forces with Joe Auckland (trumpet and banjo) and Ben Reynolds (drums), with whom he went to primary school.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Brown (saxophone), Will Collier (bass) and Ed Sheldrake (keys) joined the group later and have had several television appearances and a show on Radio 4.
Best known for their appearances on 8 Out of Ten Cats and being the only group to host Never Mind the Buzzcocks, The Horne Section has been described by Alex as “a combination of a comedian who says he doesn’t like jazz and five jazz musicians who say they don’t like that comedian’s jokes”.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 8 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 9 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
With tunes like The Seasons, a song in which he reveals his misunderstanding of the times of year, and a Christmas themed rendition of the alphabet, The Horne Section have captured interest through simple jokes and understated musical humour.
Having taken numerous shows to Edinburgh, including one titled Taskmaster, Horne now hosts a show on Dave of the same name, featuring many of the UK’s favourite comedians, such as Sara Pascoe, Frank Skinner, Jon Richardson, Al Murray and Roisin Conaty, completing inane and bizarre tasks.
The group will be joined by poet and comedian Tim Key, who appeared on the first series of Taskmaster, to celebrate his return from Asia and as “an excuse for a fun night out”.
Alex Horne and The Horne Section perform with Tim Key at the Shoreditch Town Hall on Friday October 21, 7:30pm.