Andrew Maxwell and Tom Stade in East London Fringe comedy festival
- Credit: Archant
The open air festival takes place in Shoreditch Park on July 24
No need to venture all the way up to Edinburgh this August for comedy.
The East London Fringe is preparing for its open air comedy festival in Shoreditch Park on Sunday July 24.
More than 25 comedians will take to the stage delivering performances throughout the day.
Atop the list are Tom Stade, Andrew Maxwell, Markus Birdman, Paul Sinha, Paul Tonkinson and Jim Smallman, all of whom can boast years of success on the UK comedy circuit.
You may also want to watch:
Canadian turned Scot Tom Stade, a Live at the Apollo connoisseur and guest on Mock The Week, is one of the main features of the festival.
Stade has performed at comedy festivals all over the world, and has entertained the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 6 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 7 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 8 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme
- 9 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
- 10 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
Paul Tonkinson, who supported Michael McIntyre on his 2015 Happy and Glorious tour, is another of the festival’s starring acts, closely followed by The Chase’s Paul Sinha and Markus Birdman, who have toured together in the past.
Jim Smallman, a self proclaimed idiot who entered into stand up comedy to get over his fear of giving presentations, will be delivering his mix of sarcasm and storytelling.
Closing the show at the end of the evening is another Live at the Apollo regular Andrew Maxwell, who has previously been nominated for the award for best show at Edinburgh Fringe.
He has also hosted his own late night show, Fullmooners, which has featured Russell Brand, Simon Pegg and Ed Byrne.
The one day festival is presented by Backyard Comedy Club and Comedy Café Theatre, both of which have featured many of the acts performing throughout the day.
The Backyard Comedy Club, which was founded by comedian Lee Hurst, has hosted a range of comedy talent from up and coming acts to more established names like Sara Pascoe and James Acaster.
Comedy Café Theatre is known for its new act nights.
Among the other performers are Diane Spencer, musical comedian Kate Lucas and angry man, Michael Legge,
The East London Open Air Comedy Festival takes place in Shoreditch Park on Sunday July 24.
Advance tickets are priced from £5 available at eastlondonfringefest.co.uk.