Ballet: Jane Eyre at Sadler’s Wells
- Credit: Archant
Northern Ballet brings dramatic dance interpretation of Brontë’s Jane Eyre to Sadler’s Wells
Jane Eyre, one of literature’s most iconic heroines, is coming to Sadler’s Wells Theatre this month with dramatic performances running from 15-19 May. Northern Ballet are bringing the gothic love story to life at the London venue for the first time, through a blend of classical ballet and drama.
The classic tale of romance, jealousy and dark secrets is set to a score of original compositions that incorporate 19th century music, compiled and arranged by composer Philip Feeney and played by Northern Ballet Sinfonia. The show’s choreography was created by Cathy Marston and painted cloth costumes and sets were designed by Patrick Kinmonth.
“Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre was a novel far ahead of its time – a character and a book that continue to provoke and move generation after generation, reread after re-read,” Marston said.
The production tracks the protagonist’s journey from a young orphan to a strong-spirited governess at a gentleman’s manor, where an unlikely bond forms between her and the dark and impassioned Mr Rochester, whose hidden past threatens to ruin them both.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m often drawn to strong female leads; characters like Cathy (Emily Brontë’s Wuthering Heights) Mrs Alving (Ibsen’s Ghosts) or Lolita (of Nabokov’s novel) are just some of those who have inspired me. Jane is considered an early feminist character,” Marston said.
“She feels like she is fighting the outside world but she is also fighting herself. As I discovered her anew through our rehearsals I was struck by how surprising she is. Her reactions are seldom obvious, and we always asked, ‘What would Jane do here?’”
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
Jane Eyre was originally premièred by Northern Ballet in May 2016 and nominated for a South Bank Sky Arts Award in 2017.
This event is also suitable for those who are blind or partially sighted as an interactive touch tour on 19 May to explore the set and costumes is available, followed by a movement workshop before the audio described matinee performance.
The ballet runs May 15-19. To book visit sadlerswells.com or call the box office on 020 7863 8000.