Bar review: Queen of Hoxton summer rooftop
- Credit: Archant
Enjoy the first glimmer of sun and try a Nevada Colada at the Shoreditch fun-house’s futuristic Vegas-themed rooftop
As the mercury rises and the summer seems finally imminent, where better to head to than to one of London’s legendary rooftop bars?
If your work-tired legs can make it up three floors of stairs at Shoreditch’s Queen of Hoxton, you’ll be rewarded with a Lost Vegas-themed festival atmosphere where you can chow down on burger and fries or get married by Elvis in a Little Vegas Wedding Chapel.
There’s a joyful junk aesthetic to the futuristic concept, which imagines that after years of tyranny, the US-A has risen up in revolt and stuck it to The Man.
It is 2021 and Eco-warriors and neo-hippies rule the former Sin City - although they’ll need some libation in this plant and animal haven.
You may also want to watch:
Three Dots and Five Miles Brewery ably step up with a slew of cocktails made with their homemade syrups and infusions served from the tap - both the Nevada Colada (coconut rum, peanut soda, banana butter syrup) and the Gin City: Cherry Stem and rhubarb gin and tonic were not bad for the end of the world as we know it..
Amid the overgrown ruins of the strip, Trumpageddon survivors would appear to be thriving on McVegan burgers served out of an abandoned yellow school bus, or Phoney Island Chili Dogs made with Weiner, hot beef chilli sauce, Jack Cheese and Mustard.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Eidevall says Arsenal put 'pressure on themselves' to deliver in big games
- 10 Hundreds of activists descend on north London incinerator demanding end to rebuild
My veggie pal washed down his Xora Dog (with fried onions and lemon and herb sauce) with a Lost Vegas Fire Water of ginger, rum and red chili. While I was happy with a criminally juicy burger, with dill pickles and house relish.
With quirky vending machines selling craft beer, a wedding ring or a divorce certificate, and a series of immersive events, including sustainable living workshops on how to live a plastic free life; a film club on summer evenings; rooftop headphone parties, and futurism lectures, or an eco warrior crown making workshop, you can blend hedonism with activism - or if you can’t be bothered to save the world, just sit in the sun overlooking the rooftops with a cold drink in your hand.
Queen of Hoxton, 1 Curtain Road, London, EC2A 020 7422 0958