Bar review: Queen of Hoxton summer rooftop
- Credit: Archant
Enjoy the first glimmer of sun and try a Nevada Colada at the Shoreditch fun-house’s futuristic Vegas-themed rooftop
As the mercury rises and the summer seems finally imminent, where better to head to than to one of London’s legendary rooftop bars?
If your work-tired legs can make it up three floors of stairs at Shoreditch’s Queen of Hoxton, you’ll be rewarded with a Lost Vegas-themed festival atmosphere where you can chow down on burger and fries or get married by Elvis in a Little Vegas Wedding Chapel.
There’s a joyful junk aesthetic to the futuristic concept, which imagines that after years of tyranny, the US-A has risen up in revolt and stuck it to The Man.
It is 2021 and Eco-warriors and neo-hippies rule the former Sin City - although they’ll need some libation in this plant and animal haven.
You may also want to watch:
Three Dots and Five Miles Brewery ably step up with a slew of cocktails made with their homemade syrups and infusions served from the tap - both the Nevada Colada (coconut rum, peanut soda, banana butter syrup) and the Gin City: Cherry Stem and rhubarb gin and tonic were not bad for the end of the world as we know it..
Amid the overgrown ruins of the strip, Trumpageddon survivors would appear to be thriving on McVegan burgers served out of an abandoned yellow school bus, or Phoney Island Chili Dogs made with Weiner, hot beef chilli sauce, Jack Cheese and Mustard.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
My veggie pal washed down his Xora Dog (with fried onions and lemon and herb sauce) with a Lost Vegas Fire Water of ginger, rum and red chili. While I was happy with a criminally juicy burger, with dill pickles and house relish.
With quirky vending machines selling craft beer, a wedding ring or a divorce certificate, and a series of immersive events, including sustainable living workshops on how to live a plastic free life; a film club on summer evenings; rooftop headphone parties, and futurism lectures, or an eco warrior crown making workshop, you can blend hedonism with activism - or if you can’t be bothered to save the world, just sit in the sun overlooking the rooftops with a cold drink in your hand.
Queen of Hoxton, 1 Curtain Road, London, EC2A 020 7422 0958