Candlelit Verdi, Puccini and Mozart raise money for St John Ambulance
- Credit: Archant
Opera by Candlelight promises an evening of melody, mingling and merriment in support of the St John RISE Young People’s Project
Opera by Candlelight promises an evening of melody, mingling and merriment in support of the St John RISE Young People’s Project.
Presenting a selection of tunes and duets, the evening will showcase opera and songs by Verdi, Puccini, Mozart, Bernstein, Butterworth and Bizet as performed by acclaimed musicians Janet Fairlie, Alison Crookendale, Ronald Samm and John Suddaby.
Musical couple Piano Á Deux, seen on Britain’s Got Talent in 2012, will also feature in the evening’s events, performing medleys in support of the cause.
In the beautiful setting of Priory Church of St John, music lovers are invited to enjoy and support this candlelit fundraising concert.
You may also want to watch:
All proceeds from Opera by Candlelight will go towards St John RISE, a project by St John Ambulance that equips young people who are unemployed or out of education with valuable first aid and leadership skills. The UK’s leading first aid charity, St John Ambulance aims to teach individuals vital lifesaving information.
Speaking on the work of the charity, organiser and mezzo soprano singer Alison Crookendale says: “It gives young people qualifications and has a knock on effect as they are able to pass on these gained skills”.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
Crookendale has been working with the charity for five years alongside her work as a freelance opera singer. With former colleague and bass singer John Suddaby, the pair raised money for defibrillators at another event for the charity in January.
On her decision to organise Opera by Candelight, Crookendale says: “I’m interested in using my singing for a charitable aim. I’ve been given so many opportunities in my life and it’s a way of giving back”.
Likewise, Suddaby impressed the importance of the charity’s work. “It’s such a worthy cause, particularly because it teaches young people skills that they can pass on. I think it’s so important to support young people because they’re the future”.
The evening offers candlelit ambience and classical opera in support of a lifesaving cause.
Opera by Candlelight will take place on October 14, 7pm at Priory Church of St John. Tickets £6 – 12 at: sja.org.uk/operabycandlelight