Candlelit Verdi, Puccini and Mozart raise money for St John Ambulance
- Credit: Archant
Opera by Candlelight promises an evening of melody, mingling and merriment in support of the St John RISE Young People’s Project
Opera by Candlelight promises an evening of melody, mingling and merriment in support of the St John RISE Young People’s Project.
Presenting a selection of tunes and duets, the evening will showcase opera and songs by Verdi, Puccini, Mozart, Bernstein, Butterworth and Bizet as performed by acclaimed musicians Janet Fairlie, Alison Crookendale, Ronald Samm and John Suddaby.
Musical couple Piano Á Deux, seen on Britain’s Got Talent in 2012, will also feature in the evening’s events, performing medleys in support of the cause.
In the beautiful setting of Priory Church of St John, music lovers are invited to enjoy and support this candlelit fundraising concert.
You may also want to watch:
All proceeds from Opera by Candlelight will go towards St John RISE, a project by St John Ambulance that equips young people who are unemployed or out of education with valuable first aid and leadership skills. The UK’s leading first aid charity, St John Ambulance aims to teach individuals vital lifesaving information.
Speaking on the work of the charity, organiser and mezzo soprano singer Alison Crookendale says: “It gives young people qualifications and has a knock on effect as they are able to pass on these gained skills”.
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 7 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 8 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 9 Islington is getting a big name restaurant
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
Crookendale has been working with the charity for five years alongside her work as a freelance opera singer. With former colleague and bass singer John Suddaby, the pair raised money for defibrillators at another event for the charity in January.
On her decision to organise Opera by Candelight, Crookendale says: “I’m interested in using my singing for a charitable aim. I’ve been given so many opportunities in my life and it’s a way of giving back”.
Likewise, Suddaby impressed the importance of the charity’s work. “It’s such a worthy cause, particularly because it teaches young people skills that they can pass on. I think it’s so important to support young people because they’re the future”.
The evening offers candlelit ambience and classical opera in support of a lifesaving cause.
Opera by Candlelight will take place on October 14, 7pm at Priory Church of St John. Tickets £6 – 12 at: sja.org.uk/operabycandlelight