Spanish supper club comes to Islington’s Paper Mill Studios
- Credit: Darren Robinson Photography
Casa Campo Viejo serves up a five-course feast with matching wine influenced by the Rioja region of Spain.
Inspiration for the Caso Campo Viejo supper-club that is about to land in London can be traced back to 1964.
This was the year that Campo Viejo’s founders – Juan Alcorta, Jose Ortiguela and Jose Bezares – outlined their vision to take their wines to the next village, the next district, the next country: all the while putting a focus on the kind of social drinking and dining that Spain has become renowned for.
Their supper-club will be held at Islington’s Paper Mill Studios on three nights next week, and the idea is to make new friends of strangers while you tuck into a spread of great food and matching wines.
Renowned chef and San Sebastian native Xabi Bonilla will cook up a five-course menu with each course paired with Campo Viejo wines that are “designed to ignite the senses and plunge guests into the rich lifestyle of Campo Viejo.”
You may also want to watch:
The company’s wine ambassador, Maria Huete, will be in attendance to guide wine aficionados and complete novices through their range on the night.
“We in Spain do things quite differently when it comes to food and drink,” she says.
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 9 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 10 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
“Eating and drinking are social activities paired with rich conversation – we don’t grab food and run. We sit, talk, enjoy and break bread together.
“Being generous with each other and taking time to share these experiences is deeply ingrained in our culture. The Casa Campo Viejo event, which honours our home and our roots, will bring this heritage to life in a contemporary and exciting way, and welcome guests to experience our generous and warm way of life.”
So, in short, the whole purpose of the night is to revel in a communal atmosphere that flows with good food and a few glasses of red – which sounds pretty good to us.
Casa Campo Viejo has been touring the country and the London leg will take place across August 30, 31 and September 1.
The events will also feature guided wine-blending sessions, where diners will have the chance to learn the secrets behind Campo Viejo wine while designing, making and taking home their own hand-made bottle.
Casa Campo Viejo at Paper Mill Studios from August 30 to September 1, from 6.30pm. Tickets are £40 and include a five-course meal, paired wines and a wine-blending session.