Clerkenwell playwright goes from audience of 50 to 450
A young playwright will be putting on his first play at a 450-seat theatre after the show went down a storm at previews in March.
George Hull, 27, who grew up in Myddleton Square, Clerkenwell, wrote the play Peter over a number of years and it was first performed in March after he converted a private venue into a 50-seat theatre with his group Anatrope Theatre, which brings together other young talent.
The group also put on another play called No Comment by George’s friend Amalia Kontesi and both shows will now be performed at the Shaw Theatre in Euston Road across a number of days this month.
Describing his play, George, who is currently living in east London, said: “Peter is about a boy growing up in Clerkenwell and has lots of local Islington colour. It imagines what it would be like growing up if your older brother was St Peter.
“It’s about the idea of imagining what it would be like if you’re basically a miracle worker or ‘saint’ who performs miracles like bringing the family cat back from the dead, and the idea that the younger brother is very overshadowed and suppressed by it.”
You may also want to watch:
He said other themes include religion and added: “It’s about how anything is possible with miracles and the extraordinary.”
Peter will be shown at 8pm on Thursday, August 11, to Saturday, August 13, and No Comment will be on at 6.30pm on the same days, as well as between August 15 and 19.
- 1 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 2 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
Tickets can be purchased by calling 0844 2485075 or through www.ticketmaster.co.uk. For more information about the theatre group, visit www.anatropetheatre.com