Clerkenwell playwright goes from audience of 50 to 450
A young playwright will be putting on his first play at a 450-seat theatre after the show went down a storm at previews in March.
George Hull, 27, who grew up in Myddleton Square, Clerkenwell, wrote the play Peter over a number of years and it was first performed in March after he converted a private venue into a 50-seat theatre with his group Anatrope Theatre, which brings together other young talent.
The group also put on another play called No Comment by George’s friend Amalia Kontesi and both shows will now be performed at the Shaw Theatre in Euston Road across a number of days this month.
Describing his play, George, who is currently living in east London, said: “Peter is about a boy growing up in Clerkenwell and has lots of local Islington colour. It imagines what it would be like growing up if your older brother was St Peter.
“It’s about the idea of imagining what it would be like if you’re basically a miracle worker or ‘saint’ who performs miracles like bringing the family cat back from the dead, and the idea that the younger brother is very overshadowed and suppressed by it.”
You may also want to watch:
He said other themes include religion and added: “It’s about how anything is possible with miracles and the extraordinary.”
Peter will be shown at 8pm on Thursday, August 11, to Saturday, August 13, and No Comment will be on at 6.30pm on the same days, as well as between August 15 and 19.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 4 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 5 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 6 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 7 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 10 Hundreds are heirs to an estate and may not even know
Tickets can be purchased by calling 0844 2485075 or through www.ticketmaster.co.uk. For more information about the theatre group, visit www.anatropetheatre.com