Eating like a Japanese foodie with Silla Bjerrum at Jenius Social
- Credit: Archant
In celebration of National Vegetarian Week, Jenius Social hosts a class in Japanese cuisine
National Vegetarian Week kicks off on Monday and food and drink events venue Jenius Social in Holloway is getting in the feel of things with a special workshop.
Silla Bjerrum is hosting Eating Like a Japanese Foodie, teaching the art of vegetarian sushi making on May 21.
Danish-born Bjerrum started her Japanese food career almost by accident whilst studying for a masters degree in London and taking a part time job at Nippon Tuk in Chelsea. She went on to found sustainable delivery service, Feng Sushi, which now has eight locations around London.
Coming from a “very foodie Danish family” she grew up being used to sharing a home cooked meal every evening, and participating in the cooking herself from a young age.
You may also want to watch:
Bjerrum says that Japanese cuisine “is far more approachable these days.
“Many of the key ingredients are widely available from the supermarket, health food stores and Asian stores,” she adds, though she recommends getting the basics with a course if it’s a new style for you.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 9 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 10 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
Her class at Jenius Social is a three and a half hour long introduction to the cuisine, where you’ll learn knife safety before creating eight different dishes including miso cured tofu and mushroom tempura and teriyaki inside out maki.
“I will introduce key ingredients like miso, yuzu, tofu, edamame, seaweed and sushi making,” she says. “This course is about including more Japanese ingredients in your every day diet and teaching basic skills to make sushi rolls, nigiri and the very delicious tamago Japanese omelette.
“I love sharing my knowledge and seeing students gain the confidence to make Japanese food.”
Jenius Social prides itself on bringing together food and socialising. As well as the sushi workshop, they have a regular run of cookery classes including everything from bread-making and French patisserie to street food from South America, Mexico and the Mediterranean. You can also learn the arts of butchery and confidence with a kitchen knife.
The vegetarian sushi class starts at 11am on May 21, £75 per person.
Jenius Social, Studio 8, 6 Hornsey Street, London, N7 8GR
email@example.com, 020 3750 2478