Elvis is back in the building at Shoreditch Town Hall
- Credit: Archant
Elvis will be back in the building – in a manner of speaking – for a theatre piece centring around the King’s 1968 TV comeback special.
Using the on-screen spectacular as a starting point, Texan artist Greg Wohead will act as Elvis Presley stand-in, floor manager, and paranormal medium to explore themes of gender, culture and sexual identity in his show, Comeback Special, at Shoreditch Town Hall.
When Wohead watched the original 1968 Comeback Special, he was struck by its potency and ridiculousness.
It made him interested in the idea of the comeback and the attempt to come back as the best version of oneself.
“This show isn’t exactly about Elvis, so there’s no need for the audience to arrive with any knowledge of him or the original 1968 Comeback Special, but if you are an Elvis fan it might give you a different and interesting perspective,” Wohead says.
You may also want to watch:
“The more I worked on Comeback Special, the more it grew into something deeply personal. While trying to accomplish what seemed like a straightforward task of a re-enactment, I found I couldn’t detach my similarities and differences to the image of Elvis, and my own experience of a self-identity in flux.”
From Elvis to existentialism, Wohead will invite the audience to ponder the question: ‘How does this modern-day show acknowledge the past and look towards the future?’
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25
- 10 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
Comeback Special runs from Tuesday until Saturday at 7.30pm at Shoreditch Town Hall in Old Street. Tickets £15. shoreditchtownhall.com.