Event of the week: Breakin’ Convention at Sadler’s Wells
- Credit: Archant
Breakin’ Convention, the critically acclaimed hip-hop dance theatre festival, is back at Sadler’s Wells this weekend.
Now in its 13th year, Breakin’ Convention is one of the highlights in the UK dance calendar.
Hosted and curated by associate artist Jonzi D, it is renowned as one of the world’s greatest celebrations of hip hop culture.
Friday features Vicycle by the Birdgang Dance Company in the Lilian Baylis Studio (8pm, tickets £5). The piece follows one man’s pursuit of an ‘ideal’ and the compromises he is willing to make to reach it.
The main festival, on Saturday and Sunday (from 4pm, tickets £15-£24), will see Sadler’s Wells’ foyer transformed with live DJs, freestyle dance jams, graffiti exhibitions, workshops from top international artists and live aerosol art.
You may also want to watch:
It will be followed by the main show. Many of the acts have developed their work at Sadler’s Wells itself, at its Open Art Surgery and Back to the Lab projects.
And, on Monday, Breakin’ Convention will finish with a family-friendly day out in Spa Fields Park, Finsbury (1pm-6pm, free entry).
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
For more information, visit breakinconvention.com