Event of the week: Breakin’ Convention at Sadler’s Wells
- Credit: Archant
Breakin’ Convention, the critically acclaimed hip-hop dance theatre festival, is back at Sadler’s Wells this weekend.
Now in its 13th year, Breakin’ Convention is one of the highlights in the UK dance calendar.
Hosted and curated by associate artist Jonzi D, it is renowned as one of the world’s greatest celebrations of hip hop culture.
Friday features Vicycle by the Birdgang Dance Company in the Lilian Baylis Studio (8pm, tickets £5). The piece follows one man’s pursuit of an ‘ideal’ and the compromises he is willing to make to reach it.
The main festival, on Saturday and Sunday (from 4pm, tickets £15-£24), will see Sadler’s Wells’ foyer transformed with live DJs, freestyle dance jams, graffiti exhibitions, workshops from top international artists and live aerosol art.
You may also want to watch:
It will be followed by the main show. Many of the acts have developed their work at Sadler’s Wells itself, at its Open Art Surgery and Back to the Lab projects.
And, on Monday, Breakin’ Convention will finish with a family-friendly day out in Spa Fields Park, Finsbury (1pm-6pm, free entry).
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 4 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 5 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 6 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 7 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 10 Hundreds are heirs to an estate and may not even know
For more information, visit breakinconvention.com