Finsbury Park singer in need of volunteers for music video
A singer who grew up in Finsbury Park is calling on young people from across Islington to help her create a music video.
Former Britain’s Got Talent (BGT) contender Angela Anufuro, aka Angie A, who grew up in Ambler Road, is looking for 40 people to take part in the shoot for her single Free [She Wanna Be Free] at a secret “club scene” location on Tuesday.
The 33-year-old said: “We are looking for people who can bust-a-move or simply look cool at the bar.”
Angie, who was also a finalist in Live and Unsigned last year, has already released the song through iTunes, Amazon and Spotify and performed it at a recent festival in tribute to the late Amy Winehouse, which herself and the crowd felt was very apt.
Between penning lyrics and recording songs, the budding pop star, whose audition in front of BGT judges including Simon Cowell was aired on TV, has been running soulful singing workshops at several locations across London for more than 18 months and now has some 100 members.
You may also want to watch:
The former pupil of Gillespie School in Gillespie Road, Highbury, and Mount Carmel Roman Catholic Secondary for girls in Holland Walk, Archway, continued: “I like teaching and sharing my skills with kids, youth and adults and I have surprised myself as to how much I enjoy this.
“It all started with my concern for youth gun and knife crime, so I took up a music workshop skills course at Goldsmiths University and built things up from there.”
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 3 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 'It's crippling us': Islington's theatres and pubs disheartened by lockdown extension
- 9 Islington shooting victim named
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
In fact, Angie, who has just completed a teacher training course, has written a song called What’s Going On about knife and gun crime which has become even more poignant given the recent riots. When it is released it will help raise funds for organisations like Mothers Against Guns.
To sign up to take part in the forthcoming video shoot go to Angie’s Facebook page by searching Angie A and Ram Jam Records in Google, then writing ‘count me in’ on the wall. Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org
n Angie A will be at the Duchess of Kent, Prebend Street, Islington, on Friday August 26.