Food review: Cielo Blanco, Exmouth Market
- Credit: Archant
The pristine Exmouth Market is arguably Islington’s most desirable high street. And that status has only been boosted by superb new Mexican restaurant Cielo Blanco.
Mexican menus are often restricted and predictable: burritos/enchiladas/quesadillas with chicken/beef/pork.
But Cielo Blanco is a refreshing change with its huge street food offering.
My friend and I enjoyed dishes such as chorizo picante and potato tostadas (crispy fried corn tortillas) to slow-cooked goat pibil flautas (rolled corn tacos).
Though traditional mains are available, the menu’s emphasis is very much on tapas-style sharing. We went for the “street food experience”: sharing a selection of six dishes (there’s dozens to choose from).
You may also want to watch:
For two people not enjoying food review privileges, this would cost £27. A little pricy?
- 1 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 7 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 8 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 9 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
Each fresh and flavoursome dish is deceptively big with four little portions. So that’s 12 each. It’s like eating one-and-a-half mains, meaning it’s well worth your £13.50.
Aside from the delicious food, it’s worth mentioning that Cielo Blanco also doubles as a trendy drinking venue.
Before stuffing ourselves in the ground floor restaurant, we were whisked to its swanky basement bar. With an extensive cocktail menu, it’s definitely worth stopping by on a Friday or Saturday night.