Food review: Cielo Blanco, Exmouth Market
- Credit: Archant
The pristine Exmouth Market is arguably Islington’s most desirable high street. And that status has only been boosted by superb new Mexican restaurant Cielo Blanco.
Mexican menus are often restricted and predictable: burritos/enchiladas/quesadillas with chicken/beef/pork.
But Cielo Blanco is a refreshing change with its huge street food offering.
My friend and I enjoyed dishes such as chorizo picante and potato tostadas (crispy fried corn tortillas) to slow-cooked goat pibil flautas (rolled corn tacos).
Though traditional mains are available, the menu’s emphasis is very much on tapas-style sharing. We went for the “street food experience”: sharing a selection of six dishes (there’s dozens to choose from).
You may also want to watch:
For two people not enjoying food review privileges, this would cost £27. A little pricy?
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 4 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 5 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn joins campaign to protect human right Article 25
- 10 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
Each fresh and flavoursome dish is deceptively big with four little portions. So that’s 12 each. It’s like eating one-and-a-half mains, meaning it’s well worth your £13.50.
Aside from the delicious food, it’s worth mentioning that Cielo Blanco also doubles as a trendy drinking venue.
Before stuffing ourselves in the ground floor restaurant, we were whisked to its swanky basement bar. With an extensive cocktail menu, it’s definitely worth stopping by on a Friday or Saturday night.