'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- Credit: The Lamb
A Holloway Road pub has been recognised as the best pub in the borough racking up 70 per cent of readers' votes in the Islington Gazette's 2021 Hospitality Heroes awards.
The Lamb pub was crowned the readers' favourite, followed by fellow short listers The Wenlock Arms on Wenlock Road and Tommy Flynn's on Holloway Road.
The award-winner was saved by its punters during the coronavirus pandemic when restrictions threatened it's survival.
Anji Clarke, whose husband, Ade, is The Lamb's landlord, said: "The award is just lovely because it's readers, it's real people. It feels really nice and it means a lot. We're honoured really we are."
Anji described the wet-led pub that does not serve food as a "proper old boozer", one that welcomes a "massively diverse range of people, from the elderly to the young".
She added "We take care of people and hope that they feel looked after. It's not fancy and my husband always makes a point of hiring really nice people – I think it makes a difference."
You may also want to watch:
The pub also supports local artists by letting them display their art for free.
"It brightens our walls," said Anji.
- 1 Former election candidate convicted of having a knife in public
- 2 Letter: 'Highbury Corner is unsafe and unhealthy for pedestrians'
- 3 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 4 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 8 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 9 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 10 Guilty: MP Claudia Webbe harassed her partner's female friend, magistrate rules
It also showcases the musical and Irish heritage of Holloway Road with two different Irish sessions held on Tuesday and Sunday evenings. On Thursday nights the bar hosts singalongs around a piano played by the pub's house pianist Dave the Keys.
Anji added: "We think it’s really happy place and we’re so glad other people feel the same."
The Gazette is celebrating Islington's 2021 Hospitality Heroes for National Hospitality Day which falls on September 18.
National Hospitality Day has been organised by four charities after a challenging 18 months for the industry, during which thousands of jobs have been lost, businesses have closed and owners forced to shut their doors for weeks at a time.
Now, the borough's eateries and drinking spots are back open and we're encouraging everyone to support them by booking a table on September 18.
Learn more about The Lamb pub on Holloway Road at www.thelambn7.co.uk