Islington-based Junkstar rock band tops Amazon download chart
An emerging rock band with members from Islington has been competing with the likes of Paul Weller for the top spot of a national music download chart.
Junkstar, which includes Essex Road-based keyboard player Anna Reinoso, 30, and guitarist Emy Santoro, 32, has achieved success with latest singles Kicking K and Girls Like Him reaching the top five of the Amazon new releases rock chart in the past week.
Kicking K went from around number 27,000 to number two in the general new releases chart.
Anna, studying for an MA in professional writing at London Metropolitan University in Holloway Road, Holloway, said: “It is amazing that it has gone this far.
You may also want to watch:
“We didn’t even think it would make the top 100 let alone the top three. It is quite surreal. We have been using email and social networking to promote the song, helping it to climb close to the top position.”
The other members are lead singer JC Connington, 27, bass player Katy Zee, 32, and drummer Simon Hartop, 35.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
The group, formed three years ago by Anna and JC who met through musician wanted advertisements on the internet, has played support shows for Athlete and Kate Nash. The current line up has been together for a year.
Anna, who attended Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School in Risinghill Street, Islington, said: “The best thing has been that record labels have been interested in signing us up following the success of the singles.
“The feedback has been very positive and it could be a big breakthrough for the band.”
Girls Like Him and Kicking K, electro-pop tracks based on the anxieties and pleasures of modern life, can be purchased for 79p each on Amazon.
Junkstar are performing at the Cargo club in Shoreditch High Street on September 23.
For more information visit www.junkstar.com or www.facebook.com/junkstarband