Time Saving Noodle Soup
- Credit: Archant
Lisa Cowling from Hackney’s Week Night Diner cook school offers a quick and tasty lockdown lunch that you can conjure from your store cupboard and freezer
I don’t know about you but I seem to be endlessly cooking at the moment.
Feeding a family of four 3 times a day requires quite a bit of cooking and clearing up and in between home schooling, work and checking up on family far away.
Time sometimes seems quite short.
Many people seem to be having particular difficulty with what to serve for lunch, so here is an idea for a quick lockdown lunch - an easy soup with very little washing up!
You may also want to watch:
I make this a lot and you really can put in whatever you like as it’s all about the flavour of the stock.
I use rice noodles but egg noodles work just as well and I have been buying bags of frozen gyoza dumplings, keeping them in my freezer and popping a few in the soup.
- 1 Upper Street flat attack: Man, 58, stabbed in neck and back
- 2 Launch date for Gordon Ramsay's Upper Street burger chain
- 3 Finsbury Park sex assault: Man arrested on suspicion of rape
- 4 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 5 Survey: Where are the safest and most unsafe where you live?
- 6 Police investigate alleged Finsbury Park rape
- 7 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 8 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn echoes Iain Duncan Smith's call to review £1.2bn incinerator plans
- 10 Hundreds are heirs to an estate and may not even know
For the veg I usually use frozen peas, sweetcorn and edamame beans if I have them, but finely sliced carrot, cabbage and broccoli also work well.
Here, I had some beef left over from a Sunday roast which I finely sliced and added, however, I also make this with frozen prawns, leftover chicken or I keep it vegetarian. I also add sheets of seaweed if I have them or kale.
It’s a brilliant way to use up all those vegetable odds and ends.
For more recipe ideas and information on my cook school you can visit me on Instagram @weeknightdiner and if you do make any of my recipes we would love to see pictures of your creations, so do send them in.
Time Saving Noodle Soup: Serves 4
For the stock
1x Chicken stock cube
600ml hot water
3 tsp miso paste
1 whole garlic clove peeled
2cm chunk of fresh ginger
½ a chilli
3 tsp soy sauce
1 tin sweetcorn
1 big handful frozen peas
40g frozen edamame beans
2-3 nests of dried noodles
8 frozen gyozas (optional)
A few coriander leaves
Sprinkle of seeds
4 sheets of seaweed torn up (optional)
Squeeze of lime
First make the stock. Add all the stock ingredients to a large saucepan and let it gently simmer for 5 minutes to allow the garlic, chilli and ginger to infuse.
Now take out the chunks of garlic, chilli and ginger.
Add the noodles, vegetables and frozen gyozas and simmer for about 4 minutes until the noodles have softened and the gyozas are cooked through.
Taste for seasoning at this point, it may need a little more soy sauce or a little chilli sauce if you have some and a squeeze of lime.
Serve in bowls with a sprinkle of seeds, coriander, chopped chilli and some torn seaweed or kale stirred through.