Needles and Yarn at the Centre for Recent Drawing
- Credit: Archant
Curated by Alice Bygraves, ‘Threads: Taking up Needles and Yarn’ collates work from Celia Pym and Diana Taylor
Two contemporary artists who use textile in their work have come together in a curated exhibition at the Centre for Recent Drawing (C4RD) in Highbury.
Curated by Alice Bygraves, ‘Threads: Taking up Needles and Yarn’ collates work from Celia Pym and Diana Taylor.
The two artists share an interest in museum collections and objects from past civilisations, as well as an awareness of impermanence and ruin.
Pym’s Colour Work is a new piece inspired by the irregularity in pattern that she encounters when darning. Guided by numbers and counting stitches, she attempts not to look at what she knits and doesn’t plan the outcome, knitting until all the colour is used up.
You may also want to watch:
Taylor grew up surrounded by her Cypriot mother’s tapestries, embroideries and cross-stitch pictures, and this has influenced much of her own work. Combining screen printing with stitching, machine sewn lines follow geographical plans of the ancient Kourion, where her mother is from.
The Centre for Recent Drawing, founded in 2004, is completely dedicated to drawing and exhibitions that hold drawing as a core part of their practice. There is a shared lineage between hand stitching and the hand drawn line.
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 7 Islington shooting victim named
- 8 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
Threads: Taking up Needles and Yarn opens on March 17 and runs until April 1, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
C4RD, 2 – 4 Highbury Station Road, N1 1SB