Needles and Yarn at the Centre for Recent Drawing
- Credit: Archant
Curated by Alice Bygraves, ‘Threads: Taking up Needles and Yarn’ collates work from Celia Pym and Diana Taylor
Two contemporary artists who use textile in their work have come together in a curated exhibition at the Centre for Recent Drawing (C4RD) in Highbury.
Curated by Alice Bygraves, ‘Threads: Taking up Needles and Yarn’ collates work from Celia Pym and Diana Taylor.
The two artists share an interest in museum collections and objects from past civilisations, as well as an awareness of impermanence and ruin.
Pym’s Colour Work is a new piece inspired by the irregularity in pattern that she encounters when darning. Guided by numbers and counting stitches, she attempts not to look at what she knits and doesn’t plan the outcome, knitting until all the colour is used up.
You may also want to watch:
Taylor grew up surrounded by her Cypriot mother’s tapestries, embroideries and cross-stitch pictures, and this has influenced much of her own work. Combining screen printing with stitching, machine sewn lines follow geographical plans of the ancient Kourion, where her mother is from.
The Centre for Recent Drawing, founded in 2004, is completely dedicated to drawing and exhibitions that hold drawing as a core part of their practice. There is a shared lineage between hand stitching and the hand drawn line.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
Threads: Taking up Needles and Yarn opens on March 17 and runs until April 1, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
C4RD, 2 – 4 Highbury Station Road, N1 1SB