Restaurant review: Crown and Shuttle, Shoreditch, E1
- Credit: Archant
It was with high expectations I made my way to the Crown and Shuttle, having been its sister pub, the Water Poet, just weeks previously.
The Water Poet, a hidden “gem” just round the corner in Folgate Street, serves an excellent BBQ menu and is a tough act to follow.
But the Crown and shuttle didn’t disappoint. It’s hard to know where to start, as the pub, on Shoreditch High Street, boasts so many advantages.
Firstly, its right on the edge of the city as you make your way out towards Shoreditch, making it the perfect after-work rendezvous.
Then there’s the food, which is great. I had the cod cheeks with chorizo to start - bursting with freshness and well seasoned, packing lots of flavour.
You may also want to watch:
We also tried the falafel, but this was a bit dry and flavourless. However meat is this pub’s forte and the mains didn’t disappoint.
Both the lamb and the beef are the main events and both came oozing with juice. The menu isn’t extensive, but the dishes on offer are done well and the ingredients taste fresh with most mains under £10.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 8 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 9 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
Like its sister pub, the Crown and Shuttle is not pretentious, despite its downtown location and is an ideal meeting spot for any occasion.
There is also a great outdoors area in addition to the rustic inside, which appears to be an historic building which has been converted. As for the service, the workers know the menu back to front and every dish is served with a smile.
On balance, the Water Poet edges it for the best place to eat and drink out of the two, but the Crown and Shuttle is well worth dropping in if you’re passing.