Restaurant review: Mensaab, Caledonian Road, N7
- Credit: Archant
Situated right on the Cally Road, this fab new restaurant has been completely transformed into a little place of luxury fine dining.
Upon arrival we were treated like special guests, shown to our seats with napkin service and served our drinks, followed by a selection of Indian favourites with a twist; the red chutney with secret ingredients was delicious, while the poppadoms were crispy fresh.
We were then served our starters of succulent chicken and lamb tikka – the chicken was an intriguing green in colour and infused with flavour and spices.
Next up was an amazing array of mains; of lamb curry, chicken tikka masala and lamb chops with lemon and pilau rice finished and a garlic Naan.
Probably not the best lot of food to order if on a date, but very delicious all the same.
You may also want to watch:
The menu was authentic, but with a bit of a street food twist – lots of spinach and plenty of sizzling flavours.
The building was formerlly a Turkish takeaway, but the new team have completely renovated and transformed the interior.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 4 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 5 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 6 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 9 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
It aslo felt like it had a touch of class with beautiful chandeliers and borderline silver service, while staff were very welcoming and took the time to explain the concepts behind the menu.
Mensaab is situated opposite HMP Pentonville, but you wouldn’t even notice apart from the inmates at the windows staring jealously at the food.
Joking aside, it’s an extremely safe and peaceful area. We had a great time.Nas Halim