Restaurant review: Munchies, N7
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
With probably the best name of any eaterie I’ve heard in a while, Munchies Caribbean restaurant and takeaway can be found in Holloway Road.
The prices are very reasonable and the place is open for lunch as well as evening meals, so we headed down one weekday afternoon and found the place was fairly busy.
We could smell the heady aroma of the jerk chicken all the way down the road and our mouths were watering before we even sat down.
The menu features a mixture of Island favourites, including ackee and salt fish, fried fish, curry goat and so on.
It all looked very tasty and it was tough to decide what to have – in the end we went for the jerk chicken, rice and peas and the goat, all of which were delicious; fragrantly spiced and powerful hot.
You may also want to watch:
But there’s more to Munchies than just the food – the place has a real vibe about it.Reggae music booms out the stereo and all the staff and diners seems happy and cheerful – the kind of place you want to sit around in for a while after you’ve finished eating.
They also put on plenty of things to tempt you in –lunchtime deals, discounts for Holloway’s growing student population and daily changing specials. The soups looked particularly tempting packed with vegetables and dumplings.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
It may not look like much from the outside, but Munchies’s humble frontage hides within a riot of food and fun.