Restaurant review: Number 90, E9
- Credit: Archant
If ever there was an example of Hackney Wick’s transformation from warehouse wasteland to a buzzing cultural hub, bar and restaurant, Number 90 is it.
On the launch night of this canal side eatery – which forms part of events space 90 Main Yard – we found artists painting the entire wall above the bar and a soulful singer performing on a boat moored outside followed by a band taking to the stage inside.
Inside there’s a warehouse feel with high ceilings and rustic wood and, indeed, that’s what this venue started out as. Promoters and record label managers Remi Landaz and Bruno Cabral rented the space for 15 years as their studio and rehearsal space before deciding to transform it into this venue.
Not only is there an impressive range of quirky events and workshops on offer, it forms a hugely welcome addition to the budding culinary scene with delicious but unfussy street food-style plates and an enticing drinks list.
We tried several inventive cocktails and tasted dishes from the menu created by head chef Leon Borja. Sticky Thai barbecue lamb ribs were the undoubted highlight – the meat was glazed with a lip-smacking sweet sauce and fell off the bone, with a soy bean, coriander and red onion dressing the perfect accompaniment.
You may also want to watch:
A creamy macaroni cheese infused with earthy truffle sprinkles and herby breadcrumbs was also heavenly.
Fresh smoked salmon on crunchy rye bread and little tasters of pork, beef and lamb meatballs combined with various flavours similarly went down a treat.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
The dessert was guava spring rolls with a goat’s cheese dip – although unusual, the tangy sweetness from the fruit inside the crispy pastry and the sharpness of the dip proved to be a dreamy combination.