Restaurant Review: Poncho8, Finsbury, EC2
- Credit: Archant
Few things can brighten the mood of a busy deadline morning in a newsroom.
The sight of a selection of piping hot breakfast burritos making the way into the office is, however, one of those things.
Finsbury’s Poncho8 have struck upon two cracking ideas; the first, dishing up the elegant simplicity of Mexico’s finest export for the first meal of the day. The second, delivering said burritos to hungry office workers.
These wraps have been designed by Stephen Parkins-Knight, former head chef at the Ivy, so you’d expect something of a high-class burrito.
And so it proved, these aren’t the hulking dough-babys you get if you order a Mexican at tea time.
You may also want to watch:
They’re rather delicate, thin little wraps.
But that sort of makes sense in the morning – a full on pulled pork and rice affair would send me back to bed. They come in a choice of bacon or mushroom (sadly not both together), with some crème fraîche and cheeky salsa sauce and a smoky anchoo relish.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
A tasty and satisfying way to break your fast, and with yogurts and fruit available for the waistline conscious, they certainly left the Gazette team smiling.