Restaurant review: The Somers Town Coffee House, Euston, NW1
- Credit: Archant
Nestled in the back streets between Euston, King’s Cross and or St Pancras is a lovely little boozer called the Somers Town Coffee House.
I first discovered it on a hot summers day waiting for some friends to disembark from Scotland, and the pavement tables outside the pub were lively with jovial drinkers.
But in the cold weather it’s a cosy, snug retreat with an excellent line in British tapas – you know the sort of thing, mini pies, croquettes, pigs in blankets and so on.
We picked about six and sat back – there’s a bit of a wait as they all come out together, rather than the Spanish style of when they’re ready, but when the slate slab came out it was an impressive sight.
The baked Camembert was predictably gooey and delicious, while the beef bubble and squeak was a hearty winter snack and came with a wickedly spiced gravy.
You may also want to watch:
Our whitebait with garlic dip was pleasant, if not groundbreaking, while the roast potatoes were crispy/fluffy but devoid of the promised rosemary and garlic. Pick of the bunch was the black pudding scotch egg – well seasoned sausage with an ever-so-slightly runny yolk.
The wine and ale selection is more than reasonable, and we took our drinks to explore the first floor where there are funkily-themed private rooms for parties and board meetings, while downstairs they’ve just opened a speakeasy-style cocktail bar with DJs at weekends.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 3 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Stop the Burn: Protest planned against Edmonton incinerator rebuild
- 10 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
Next time you’re catching a train north, treat yourself and head down early.