Restaurant review: The White Hart, Stoke Newington, N16
- Credit: Archant
Not content with having almost certainly the best beer garden in Stokie, The White Hart is now upping its food game.
A new chef is firmly ensconced in the kitchen, the indoor dining room has been upgraded from football boozer to gastropub, and as long as the sun shines, the outdoor area continues to be glorious.
From the patio at the top to the hidden grass meadow at the bottom, the White Hart’s beer garden is something of a summer institution in N16, and as soon as thirsty punters down tools for the night or the weekend, the place is filled with the pleasant burble of pub conversation.
What’s new is the grub; an ever-changing variety of souped-up pub classics are now on offer to sate your appetite.
There’s a range of burgers, fishfingers, fried eggs and the like, all given a bit of a spruce.
You may also want to watch:
Our breaded mushrooms were a case in point: an old-fashioned half-pint glass full of sliced portobellos with an exquisitely garlicky mayonnaise. An absolute winner. The polenta whitebait was also pretty moreish and came smothered with a sweet, yet tangy Marie Rose sauce.
Our chicken main was lean and moist, with a slightly unusual but tasty creamed corn-type accompaniment.
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 4 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 9 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 10 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
Finally the burgers which, try as we might, we couldn’t resist, no matter how healthy we wanted to be. There’s all sorts: mushroom topped with egg, lamb shoulder, aubergine fritter. We plumped for the good old bacon cheeseburger, and a tender, tasty bite it was too.
If the beer garden on its own isn’t tempting enough, get yourself down early on a summer’s day, try a simple yet delicious lunch and settle in for the long haul.
And with events such as “no cutlery dining” (eating with your hands) and a roaring fire, there’s plenty to keep you coming back during the winter too.