Review: Rocket, Bishopsgate, EC2
- Credit: Archant
Those feeling peckish and finding themselves at Liverpool Street should probably head down Bishopsgate for a couple of minutes to sample the food on offer at Rocket.
Don’t be put off by the outside, which suggests more bar than restaurant, and venture inside to the dining area to peruse the menu while enjoying a raspberry martini.
Our lovely waiter took us through his recommendations for the evening, and we kicked off starters of fired spicy baby squid - do not underestimate the spicy element - and oven-baked goats cheese with balsamic marinated beetroots. Both were good, but it was the main course - enjoyed with a glass of a very nice chablis - which stepped the meal up a notch.
The portion sizes are, well, ample. My rare beef and chip salad was piled so high on the plate my friend and I had to communicate via smoke signals. It is usually, our waiter told us, greeted with a “wow” by customers. I can see why. The main problem with it was, it was so tasty I wanted to eat all of it - justifying to myself that the mound of rocket, deep fried green beans, beautifully cooked beef and tasty chips was a “salad”. For the record, the proportion of chips to rocket would suggest otherwise.
My friend’s pizza was equally large, but she was impressed by the doughy base that was loaded with tomato, chorizo, goats cheese, and spinach, all complemented with some deliciously sweet caramalised onions . Her only complaint was that the squash could have been slightly more cooked, but abandoning it meant she had more room for pizza.
You may also want to watch:
It was only for the purposes of this review that my friend and I could stretch our stomachs far enough to share a brownie for dessert - but we were exceedingly glad we had.
The oozing brownie, filled with chocolate chunks and sticky around the outside, was quickly declared the highlight of what had been a highly enjoyable meal - albeit one which left us having to loosen our belts on the way home.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
- 10 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal