Review: Rocket, Bishopsgate, EC2
- Credit: Archant
Those feeling peckish and finding themselves at Liverpool Street should probably head down Bishopsgate for a couple of minutes to sample the food on offer at Rocket.
Don’t be put off by the outside, which suggests more bar than restaurant, and venture inside to the dining area to peruse the menu while enjoying a raspberry martini.
Our lovely waiter took us through his recommendations for the evening, and we kicked off starters of fired spicy baby squid - do not underestimate the spicy element - and oven-baked goats cheese with balsamic marinated beetroots. Both were good, but it was the main course - enjoyed with a glass of a very nice chablis - which stepped the meal up a notch.
The portion sizes are, well, ample. My rare beef and chip salad was piled so high on the plate my friend and I had to communicate via smoke signals. It is usually, our waiter told us, greeted with a “wow” by customers. I can see why. The main problem with it was, it was so tasty I wanted to eat all of it - justifying to myself that the mound of rocket, deep fried green beans, beautifully cooked beef and tasty chips was a “salad”. For the record, the proportion of chips to rocket would suggest otherwise.
My friend’s pizza was equally large, but she was impressed by the doughy base that was loaded with tomato, chorizo, goats cheese, and spinach, all complemented with some deliciously sweet caramalised onions . Her only complaint was that the squash could have been slightly more cooked, but abandoning it meant she had more room for pizza.
You may also want to watch:
It was only for the purposes of this review that my friend and I could stretch our stomachs far enough to share a brownie for dessert - but we were exceedingly glad we had.
The oozing brownie, filled with chocolate chunks and sticky around the outside, was quickly declared the highlight of what had been a highly enjoyable meal - albeit one which left us having to loosen our belts on the way home.
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 3 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 4 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 5 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 6 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 7 Why Arsenal's Leah Williamson is perfect England captain?
- 8 Environment and equality at heart of council leader's new direction for Islington
- 9 Sadiq Khan urged to denounce £1.2bn Edmonton incinerator
- 10 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant