SHOES is Sadler's Wells' latest production, written by Richard Thomas, of Jerry Springer: The Opera fame. This musical revue takes every possible type of shoe, it seems, and shows us how our rela
SHOES, Sadler's Wells Theatre, Rosebery Avenue, EC1
SHOES is Sadler's Wells' latest production, written by Richard Thomas, of Jerry Springer: The Opera fame.
This musical revue takes every possible type of shoe, it seems, and shows us how our relationship with them is a metaphor for life.
Ugg boots, Crocs, Jimmys and Manolos all get a look-in - to great comic effect, at times. Highlights are Hush Puppies, a beautifully lyrical portrayal of complicated infidelity, and Your Mum - a joyful tap number that sweeps you along.
You may also want to watch:
The production showcases the talents of top choreographers under the direction of Stephen Mears, and Kate Prince's (Into the Hoods) offerings are a highlight. The ensemble is boosted further with standout dance performances from Teneisha Bonner and Ebony Molina and mind-blowing vocals from Alison Jiear and Kate Miller-Heidke.
Visually the show lives up to the hype, but you can't help wishing the themes had been more thought-provoking. Nonetheless, a sure-fire hit if it transfers to the West End.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- RACHAEL BAILEY