SHOES is Sadler's Wells' latest production, written by Richard Thomas, of Jerry Springer: The Opera fame. This musical revue takes every possible type of shoe, it seems, and shows us how our rela
SHOES, Sadler's Wells Theatre, Rosebery Avenue, EC1
SHOES is Sadler's Wells' latest production, written by Richard Thomas, of Jerry Springer: The Opera fame.
This musical revue takes every possible type of shoe, it seems, and shows us how our relationship with them is a metaphor for life.
Ugg boots, Crocs, Jimmys and Manolos all get a look-in - to great comic effect, at times. Highlights are Hush Puppies, a beautifully lyrical portrayal of complicated infidelity, and Your Mum - a joyful tap number that sweeps you along.
You may also want to watch:
The production showcases the talents of top choreographers under the direction of Stephen Mears, and Kate Prince's (Into the Hoods) offerings are a highlight. The ensemble is boosted further with standout dance performances from Teneisha Bonner and Ebony Molina and mind-blowing vocals from Alison Jiear and Kate Miller-Heidke.
Visually the show lives up to the hype, but you can't help wishing the themes had been more thought-provoking. Nonetheless, a sure-fire hit if it transfers to the West End.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 8 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- RACHAEL BAILEY