REVIEW: THE HOLE
GREMLINS director Joe Dante conjures up some more family friendly scares in THE HOLE (12A). Apart from the seemingly mandatory use of 3D, there s something reassuringly old school about this tale of a single mum and her two kids who move to a smal
GREMLINS director Joe Dante conjures up some more family friendly scares in THE HOLE (12A).
Apart from the seemingly mandatory use of 3D, there's something reassuringly old school about this tale of a single mum and her two kids who move to a small American town to start life afresh.
Things start to take a nosedive into terror when 17-year-old Dane (Chris Massoglia) and his 10-year-old brother Lucas (Nathan Gamble) discover a seemingly bottomless hole in their basement that had been carefully sealed shut by the precious owner. With the help of a teenage next-door neighbour Julie (Haley Bennett), the youngsters open it up and are forced to confront their deepest fears... including a freaky demonic puppet.
It might drag a little in the middle but for the most part Dante shows off his horror pedigree with well judged all-ages scares while the 3D is refreshingly restrained - except for one unnecessary scene involving Lucas throwing a baseball to himself which seems included purely to remind people they're watching a 3D flick.
You may also want to watch:
Sure it's slow at in places but the film is always solidly entertaining and may just scare a few parents as well as their kids.
- JUSTIN MATLOCK
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 3 Letters on People Friendly Streets in St Peter's
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
- 7 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 8 Islington kids are being 'drawn into county lines drug smuggling'
- 9 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 10 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago