REVIEW: THINGS WE LOST IN THE FIRE
JUSTIN MATLOCK reviews THINGS WE LOST IN THE FIRE (15).
HOLLYWOOD beauty Halle Berry once again attempts to show the world she can act in melodrama THINGS WE LOST IN THE FIRE (15).
She plays Audrey Burke, a mother struggling to cope with the death of husband Brian (a surprisingly memorable David Duchovny). With her life collapsing around her, things are further complicated by the arrival of Brian's best friend Jerry Sunborne (Benicio Del Toro).
As a connection to happier times, Audrey is happy to let Jerry stay in their house but it's clear his self-destructive drug using ways are as strong as ever.
So begins a movie that sits somewhere between sentimental weepy and gritty addiction flick.
You may also want to watch:
Berry gets a little lost in the balancing act but Del Toro shines as the no-good friend who helps Audrey take stock of her life while battling his demons.
He helps add fire to what is otherwise a routine drama that's too busy piling on the meaningful close-ups and heartbreaking music to get to the heart of the matter.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 5 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 9 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
Del Toro gives an incredibly brave performance that perhaps deserves to be in a better movie - one that spends less time telling us it's moving and more time actually showing us. - JUSTIN MATLOCK