REVIEW: THINGS WE LOST IN THE FIRE
JUSTIN MATLOCK reviews THINGS WE LOST IN THE FIRE (15).
HOLLYWOOD beauty Halle Berry once again attempts to show the world she can act in melodrama THINGS WE LOST IN THE FIRE (15).
She plays Audrey Burke, a mother struggling to cope with the death of husband Brian (a surprisingly memorable David Duchovny). With her life collapsing around her, things are further complicated by the arrival of Brian's best friend Jerry Sunborne (Benicio Del Toro).
As a connection to happier times, Audrey is happy to let Jerry stay in their house but it's clear his self-destructive drug using ways are as strong as ever.
So begins a movie that sits somewhere between sentimental weepy and gritty addiction flick.
You may also want to watch:
Berry gets a little lost in the balancing act but Del Toro shines as the no-good friend who helps Audrey take stock of her life while battling his demons.
He helps add fire to what is otherwise a routine drama that's too busy piling on the meaningful close-ups and heartbreaking music to get to the heart of the matter.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 6 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 7 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 8 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
Del Toro gives an incredibly brave performance that perhaps deserves to be in a better movie - one that spends less time telling us it's moving and more time actually showing us. - JUSTIN MATLOCK