JUSTIN MATLOCK reviews UNDERDOG (U).
IF you're the kind of person who likes movies about talking animals in silly outfits you'll have a ball with UNDERDOG (U) - a fun if flimsy family movie that proves you really can't teach an old dog new tricks.
Based on a classic cartoon, this live action version follows all of the usual plot points - if anything about a story of a dog with super powers can be described as usual.
When a washed-up police beagle is abducted by evil scientist Dr Simon Barsinister (Peter Dinklage) and his dim-witted sidekick (Patrick Warburton), the animal is accidentally doused in chemicals and turned into Underdog, a superhero gifted with strength, speed and the ability to talk.
The well-meaning film is hard to dislike but there's something a little half-hearted about it all - and certainly Jason Lee, as the voice of Underdog, never once sounds interested in his lines.
You may also want to watch:
Still Dinklage and Warburton provide a few laughs while the fast-moving slapstick and decent effects are probably enough to keep youngsters entertained for 80 minutes. - JUSTIN MATLOCK
- 1 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 2 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 3 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 4 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 5 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 6 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 7 Why Arsenal's Leah Williamson is perfect England captain?
- 8 Environment and equality at heart of council leader's new direction for Islington
- 9 Sadiq Khan urged to denounce £1.2bn Edmonton incinerator
- 10 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant