JUSTIN MATLOCK reviews UNDERDOG (U).
IF you're the kind of person who likes movies about talking animals in silly outfits you'll have a ball with UNDERDOG (U) - a fun if flimsy family movie that proves you really can't teach an old dog new tricks.
Based on a classic cartoon, this live action version follows all of the usual plot points - if anything about a story of a dog with super powers can be described as usual.
When a washed-up police beagle is abducted by evil scientist Dr Simon Barsinister (Peter Dinklage) and his dim-witted sidekick (Patrick Warburton), the animal is accidentally doused in chemicals and turned into Underdog, a superhero gifted with strength, speed and the ability to talk.
The well-meaning film is hard to dislike but there's something a little half-hearted about it all - and certainly Jason Lee, as the voice of Underdog, never once sounds interested in his lines.
You may also want to watch:
Still Dinklage and Warburton provide a few laughs while the fast-moving slapstick and decent effects are probably enough to keep youngsters entertained for 80 minutes. - JUSTIN MATLOCK
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting
- 10 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal