The power of the spoken word: Almeida Theatre launches Figures of Speech
- Credit: Archant
The Almeida’s digital series stars Ian McKellen, Fiona Shaw and Ashley Walters, with insight from Caitlin Moran and some of London’s next generation of leaders
The Almeida Theatre has launched Figures of Speech, a new digital film project that explores the vitality of speech and rhetoric and asks what visionary leadership should sound like today.
A series of actors and young leaders star in films that place some of history’s greatest speeches centre stage and discuss how inspiring leadership should sound in the days of social and political turmoil and in the face of a divided society.
A person’s oratory capabilities were not too long ago an indication of strong leadership – but in the age of Trump and The Boy Who Cried “Fake News”, we are learning new things about the role of language in galvanising the public. We see how made up words and personal remarks can have a more rousing effect than an articulate speech, so how is the spoken word evolving?
Harvey Milk, Nelson Mandela, Virginia Woolf, Elizabeth Glaser and Neil Kinnock have their words revived by Ian McKellen, Lucian Msamai, Fiona Shaw, Nicola Walker and Ashley Walters.
You may also want to watch:
The series is available for free, with one film released each day for the next five days. To accompany each speech, young leaders from across London respond with a speech of their own, and you can hear from voices such as Caitlin Moran on hate speak and Mary Beard on crafting great word-works throughout history.
You can find all of this, plus articles and reactions from the performers and audiences at speech.almeida.co.uk
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 9 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing