Theatre group perform literary and horror classic
- Credit: Archant
A silent horror classic and a literary masterpiece are both being adapted for the theatre and will be performed on the same stage with the same ensemble cast and props.
In their most ambitions project to date, experimental theatre company Simple8 will occupy the Arcola Theatre’s Studio 2 for four months with back-to-back productions based on The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Moby-Dick.
The troupe will firstly retell the 1920 German horror classic, regarded by many as one of the most influential films of the silent era, from Tuesday to March 16, before staging Herman Melville’s novel from March 27 to May 4.
Simple8 prides itself on telling stories in the most economical way, and both shows will feature the same sets and props which have been recycled from the company’ earlier productions.
In The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, written and directed by Sebastian Armesto and Dudley Hinton, the cast of eight aim to create a fast, frenetic fairground attraction through live music and physical ingenuity.
You may also want to watch:
It opens at the Arcola Theatre in Ashwin Street, Dalston, with showings at 8pm and matinees at 3pm.
n Call 020 7503 1646 or visit www.arcolatheatre.com for more information including tickets priced £17/£12 and discounts for booking both plays.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 3 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London