Theatre group perform literary and horror classic
- Credit: Archant
A silent horror classic and a literary masterpiece are both being adapted for the theatre and will be performed on the same stage with the same ensemble cast and props.
In their most ambitions project to date, experimental theatre company Simple8 will occupy the Arcola Theatre’s Studio 2 for four months with back-to-back productions based on The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Moby-Dick.
The troupe will firstly retell the 1920 German horror classic, regarded by many as one of the most influential films of the silent era, from Tuesday to March 16, before staging Herman Melville’s novel from March 27 to May 4.
Simple8 prides itself on telling stories in the most economical way, and both shows will feature the same sets and props which have been recycled from the company’ earlier productions.
In The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, written and directed by Sebastian Armesto and Dudley Hinton, the cast of eight aim to create a fast, frenetic fairground attraction through live music and physical ingenuity.
You may also want to watch:
It opens at the Arcola Theatre in Ashwin Street, Dalston, with showings at 8pm and matinees at 3pm.
n Call 020 7503 1646 or visit www.arcolatheatre.com for more information including tickets priced £17/£12 and discounts for booking both plays.
- 1 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 2 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 5 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 6 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 7 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 8 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 9 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing