Winter Warmers: Union Chapel all set for week of festive cheer
- Credit: Archant
Union Chapel will host a programme of film screenings, carol singalongs and a Christmas market between December 3 and 9 as they bid to raise funds for their historic Sunday School Hall.
You’ve tried to resist letting Christmas in to your life too early this year, haven’t you?
Switching channels to avoid festive adverts, ignoring the cinnamon lattes at the coffee shop, rolling your eyes at your neighbour’s inexplicable decision to put decorations up at the start of November.
But with the launch of Union Chapel’s Winter Warmers events next week, any Scrooge-like approach to the season of good will is futile. Starting on Monday and running across the week, the Chapel is laying on a schedule of film screenings, disco yoga sessions, uplifting sing-a-longs, a Christmas market and more.
The programme of events features something for all ages, with the funds raised going towards the refurbishment of the venue’s historic Sunday School Hall. The aim is to revitalise and transform this hidden gem of a space in to a new hub of cultural and artistic activity.
You may also want to watch:
The festivities start at 10am on Monday with a Baby Cinema screening of Muppet Christmas Carol, with films like White Christmas and Home Alone planned for each of the weekday mornings thereafter. There will be space for buggies, refreshments available and under 2’s go free.
Tuesday’s Christmas Cockney Singalong is sure to be a highlight of the week. Head along after work and gather around the piano as Tom Carradine leads 100 guests on a musical journey of East End classics and Christmas favourites. Song sheets are provided, all you need to do is ensure your singing voice is warmed up and ready to go.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 3 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 8 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
On Wednesday the focus shifts to Disco Yoga – a spirited event for all abilities soundtracked by 70s music – while the week finishes with a flurry of music and mulled wine on December 9.
The Christmas Market gets in to full swing from 1pm inside the Sunday School Hall, which often hosted bazaars in Victorian times. There will be stalls from local artists, hot drinks at the bar and a chance for the kids to meet Santa at his grotto.
Inside the Chapel itself, the East London Brass band will perform the iconic soundtrack of The Snowman while the movie is screened on a large projector. The last of the venue’s Winter Warmers is a screening of It’s a Wonderful Life, taking place in their cosy, candlelit space from 6pm.
For a complete list of the Winter Warmer events at Union Chapel, click here.